How do you know whether you have a mold problem?
Mold can grow on almost any material in your home when you have excess moisture from high humidity, a leaky roof, or a flood. If you see white growths or black specks along walls or ceilings, or have a musty odor, you probably have mold.
Mold cleanup will release the dangerous mold spores into the air, so it may be best to consult a professional for large areas. If it's a small job and you're tackling it yourself, be sure to use protective gear such as gloves, goggles and dust mask. Seal the immediate area of your home. Discard all moldy items in sealed plastic garbage bags. Clean all cleanable hard surfaces with a mild laundry detergent, followed by diluted bleach (1/4 cup
bleach mixed with a quart of water). Applying a borate based detergent as a last step will discourage the mold's return.