Dull Headache, Raspy Throat, Watery Eyes?
It may not be a cold or the flu...it may be your indoor air quality!!
When the weather gets cold and we spend more time indoors in a sealed environment, we need to think about the quality of the air in our homes. Often those symptoms we think are cold or flu related are really caused by irritants and allergens in the air.
Common biological irritants, such as mold, mildew, animal dander, dust mites, cockroaches and pollen, as well as air pollutants such as soot particles and chemical vapors, can irritate your eyes, nose and throat. They can also cause asthma and other long-term health problems.
What can you do?
* Thorough vacuuming, wet mopping, dusting and washing bedding will remove many microscopic irritants immediately.
* Keep your home well-ventilated, and run the fans in high humidity areas such as bathrooms to prevent mold and mildew.
* Ban smoking in your home.
* Maintain your appliances to keep them from leaking, ensure proper ventilation whenever using a fireplace and gas- or wood-burning stove, and have your chimneys and vents assessed by a reputable heating contractor or your utility company.
* Avoid using candles or air fresheners with synthetic fragrances.
* Use less toxic cleaners, paints, glues and pesticides in your home. For more information on safer home products, go to www.safer-products.org.